Day 2 - Malahide

On Friday, March 12 we arrive in London at 11:45 a.m.  Since we are not clearing customs to enter the UK we will remain in the air terminal.  Group A boards flight to Dublin at 2:10 p.m. arriving at 3:25 p.m.  Group B boards flight to Dublin at 5:40 p.m. arriving at 7:00 p.m.  Check in at the Grand Hotel, Malahide.  Dinner at the hotel, evening at leisure.

Note:  This ininerary is absolutely tentative and unofficial and is based on information dated Dec. 7, 2003



Grand Hotel, Malahide, County Dublin, Ireland
Our phone number is + 353 1 845 0000
Our FAX number is + 353 1 816 8025
Our email address is


Malahide Historical Society

10. The Grand Hotel

Close to the top of Bath Avenue stands the Grand Hotel. This mock-Palladian building was built by James Fagan of Feltrim in 1835.  It was formally known as the Pink Hotel and the Royal Hotel. The coming of the railway in 1844 brought many visitors to Malahide and in 1898 the Great Northern Railway Co. (G.N.R.) issued combined weekly rail and hotel tickets for 63/--. The railway brochure quoted the Grand Hotel as being charmingly situated on the coast and surrounded by four acres of ornamental pleasure grounds, with hot and cold sea-water baths. In the ‘twenties the hotel was owned by the McCavanna family who in turn owned a highly successful race-horse, aptly named A-Jar. Prior to this, the hotel was owned by a Dr.Colohan who had bought it in 1910 for £10,000 and sold it in 1918 for £17,000. He was the first man to bring a motor-car to Malahide and was commemorated on an Irish postage stamp.
When owned by H. Belsen, who lived in Seapark House, pigs were kept to ensure a supply of food for the guests. The 1914-’18 war destroyed the hotel’s business and it failed as a going concern for some years. When at home in Malahide Lord Talbot used the hotel for many of his visits and the Talbot flag flying from the roof of the hotel gave the wrong impression to many people that the hotel was a Talbot dower house. The Grand was re-constructed in 1955, modernised and officially re-opened by Attorney General Mr. P.McGilligan, T.D. A new conference centre was opened in 1984, followed by several bedroom extensions and a leisure centre and the once local hotel now displays an international dimension.


Malahide Castle