Nenagh the bustling
provincial town owes its origins to the Norman Butlers who built a
castle here in 1220. Nearby are the remains of a medieval Franciscan
Abbey. In the mid 19th century it prospered as a garrison town.
Reminders of this period are to be seen in the preserved facade of the
Old County Gaol. There are two neo-gothic churches, St. Mary's of the
Rosary built 1896 and St. Mary's Church of Ireland built 1860, both
noted for their stained glass windows from the famous Harry Clarke
Ireland's largest inland county. North Tipperary borders counties Clare
Limerick and the entire west of the county borders Lough Derg, the
on the Shannon. Sights to see while in North Tipperary include the town
Roscrea and its castle, and Holy Cross Abbey.
Link to Wikipedia Article